Friday, June 27, 2008

Not curvy enough for mom!







Listening to NPR Morning Edition today I heard the most hilarious story by a 94-year-old woman whose mother was concerned she wasn't curvy enough as a young lady. The answer? Mama bought her a blow-up bra right before she left for an international trip. In true Lucille Ball fashion, the bra takes on a life of its own while the girl is wearing it on the airplane. Check out the link below -- very worth listening to.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91943477

The story puts anorexic chic into perspective. At one time being too skinny was the anti-sexy and girls did their best to grow rumps and boobs to get a little attention. Remember, Marilyn was a size 14! She could have eaten one of the Olsen twins for breakfast with a biscuit and some gravy.




Comments:
Yes, I agree with you re: the perspective on anorexic models. However, I think the mother giving the girl that bra (I heard that story too, of course) is the same abuse as wanting your kid to be skinny. Bad boundaries. Not thinking the kid's body is fine the way it is. btw, that story made me think of the Pink video.
 
I think you are totally right about that. One day my therapist said, "did you ever stop to think that other people who are not fat are tortured about their appearance and raked over the coals by their families too? And I thought, no I haven't. hee hee.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]